Three Ways Eating Can Help You Lose Belly Fat Naturally
The previous article in this series was about your hormones and your quest to lose belly fat naturally.
I’m sure you know that unless you control what you eat, you can’t hope to lose those last few pounds.
Let’s be honest. You’ve got to eat to be healthy. But most of us enjoy eating too much so we either start putting on weight or can’t get it off.
Fortunately, the right food choices are pretty easy to make. And making the right choices can actually help you lose belly fat.
The three questions you need to ask yourself are:
- What should I eat?
- What should I not eat?
- When should I eat?
1. What to Eat
You may not be at war with food, but, make no mistake, carbohydrates are your enemy.
Certainly, many carbohydrates are not a problem. But you sure have an enemy in the can of soda, the candy bar, those sugar coated cereals, and other high sugar foods.
These are the foods that cause insulin (there’s another hormone) spikes. When your insulin spikes your body can’t deal properly with the fat.
What you need to eat is lots of good quality protein and vegetables that are low-glycemic. Top off your eating with whole grains and low-glycemic fruits.
I can’t give you specific details about how much you should eat from each group. You need to take into accout factors such as how much fat you need to lose, your physical workouts, your metabolism, and your body type.
However, I can share with you some of the best food choices you can make:
- leafy green vegetables like kale and spinach,
- lean meats,
- olive oil, and
- coconut oil.
These foods help keep your insulin and energy levels fairly stable.
2. What Not to Eat
Are you serious about losing that belly fat? Really serious?
Then these foods and others like them should be treated as your enemies.
(I could mention lots of foods in this section, but I don’t want to overwhelm you.)
Here are the top five drinks and foods to keep out of your mouth.
- Regular and Diet Soda: All these drinks give you is liquid caffeine and sugar. Forget the marketing gimmicks. There is life without cola. What’s more, there’s evidence that these drinks fool your brain. For some reason these liquid calories don’t get counted by the brain. So your brain let’s you keep on eating more of other foods. Even the diet drinks seem to have a similar effect on the brain./li>
- “Health” Drinks: What I wrote above applies here, too. Don’t trust the health claims on the front label. Turn them over and read the back label carefully. For a fruit drink, note how much actual fruit is in it. Be on the lookout for sugar in it’s many forms. For example, “fruit juice concentrate” is not really fruit juice. It’s fruit with all of the fruit removed and just sugar left behind.
- Alcohol: Beer, wine, and other alcoholic beverages have lots of calories and little or no nutritional value. They also help you lose control of your ability to say no to other foods.
- Fast Food: The fast food stand may save you some time today, but they have high dollar and calorie costs. These foods are usually high in salt and fat. Sure, you’ll see claims about their new “healthy” alternatives. As usual, don’t accept any health claim until you’ve done some careful research about what’s really being sold.
- Fries and Potato Chips These favorites are filled with salt and fat. As a bonus, some even have added sugar. The manufacturers know what tastes good and what will make you want to eat the whole bag. It’s true, you can’t eat just one, so don’t start.
Don’t shoot me, I’m just the messenger.
Look in the mirror again. When you think about how much better you’ll look without that ugly belly fat, then skipping these foods won’t be as hard.
3. When to Eat
We’ve covered what to eat and what to avoid. Now it’s time to talk about when to eat.
Here’s a plan that has worked for others. Eat your good carbs when you need the energy.
If you workout in the morning, then that’s the time for carbs. You see, these carbohydrates give your body the energy it needs. You won’t need as much energy later in the day. That’s when you should eat the protein and oils that are in your life.
Carbs at night might not be a good idea. Some people find that they get converted into more belly fat.
Follow these three easy tips and you should start seeing that belly fat go away.